Thursday, January 17, 2008

Having Fun

I have enjoyed reading all of the blogs that everybody has written about the status of our hobby. The other day I was telling my wife I would have probably been better off selling all of my cards in the late 1980's-early 1990's that I had collected when I was a kid in the 1970's she replied, "Oh well, you had fun didn't you?" It made me start thinking in almost 35 years of collecting that is what it has all been about is the fun of collecting them. I can still remember in 1973 on a blistering hot day opening up a wax pack of baseball cards and the smell of the gum and each player had a logo of his position circled with a colored dot like the picture above. Boy was it fun. Then in 1976 I rode my bicycle to the local quick stop like I had so many times before since 1973. However this time for the first time I seen my first cello pack, being able to see the players inside and seeing what each pack had in them and boy was that fun! I could keep going through each year how card collecting has changed and how much fun I had doing it.
There has been times throughout the years I got scared and didn't like the direction the hobby was going but I always returned to it because it was fun. Now, I am 47 years old hurrying home from work to see what everyone else has written in their blogs. Why? Because it is fun just like the boy who rode his bike to the quick stop to buy his cards.
Baseballcardman

2 comments:

Steve Gierman said...

Never forget that it is supposed to be fun. There will always be the serious side, but in the end if it's not fun, then you've wasted your time.

Bart McClaughry said...

Thank You!
I also add your new site "Things Done to Cards"
Baseball Cardman