Saturday, January 19, 2008

Babe Ruth -The Sporting News Conlon Collection

This is one of my favorite cards.
The Babe would have made it to the Hall of Fame even as a Pitcher!

The back of the says:
Babe Ruth began his major league career as a pitcher with the Red Sox. Babe was of the best pitchers in the history of the game. He pitched all 14 innings of game 2 of the 1916 World Series, giving up only 6 hits, 1run,1 earned run, and 3 bases on balls.His ERA for the game was an astounding 0.64.The Babe's statistics for the season were also impressive. He led the AL in shutouts (9), fewest hits per game (6.39), and ERA (1.75).He held his opponents to a .201 batting average.Babe's career .304 batting average as a pitcher was harbinger of his future as the "Sultan of Swat."

4 comments:

Steve Gierman said...

I always love seeing cards of Babe Ruth on the Red Sox. This is a nice one!

Unknown said...

How much is this card worth in mint condition?

Unknown said...

Hi Bart, what a great sight you have. I need some information on "The Sporting News Conlon Collection" and although I got a bunch of hits yours was the one that had the exact cards mentioned that I need information on. I believe I have the collection of cards that includes the Babe Ruth card you have pictured on your home page but I can't find specifics about the cards such as price lists, etc. Can you tell me where I might find that information.

Crystal
doseofsugar@hotmail.com

BB Card Collector said...

I have a question, The Conlon color collection issued a sub set of cards numbered 1 through 45. I have all except 34 through 37. I have been told that Target stores issued those numbers. Does anyone know if this is correct? If not, were those cards issued at all? Thanks!