Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I remember "Bo Knows... "

I never thought there would be a time that I would find this card in the commons bin. Living around Kansas City in the late 1980's and early 1990's Bo Jackson cards were a "Hot Item!" Now, you find them in the commons bin pretty regularly. My favorite memory of Bo with the Royals
is the play they call the "Wall Walk." Jackson performed his famous "wall run", when he caught a ball approximately 2-3 strides away from the wall. As he caught the ball at full tilt, Jackson looked up and noticed the wall and began to run up the wall, one leg reaching higher as he ascended. He ran along the wall almost parallel to the ground, and came down with the catch, to avoid impact and the risk of injury from the fence. What other people don't remember about that play is right before that he dropped an easy fly ball, I was so mad at him. In all my years of watching baseball and football I have never been so mad at a guy at one moment and at the next moment go Wow! I really enjoyed openeing a pack and getting a Bo Jackson card, because in the old days I could have traded them for something really good.

2 comments:

Steve Gierman said...

I'm glad someone else remembers that wall walk.

Bart McClaughry said...

I have to confess that I was disappointed when the Royals cut Bo after his injury at least he went to a good team the Whitesox!